Sunday, March 25, 2012

I feel free

I met some of my soon to be residents yesterday, and I have to say, it's getting real. As nervous as I am though, the look on one girls face in particular just took such a weight off of my chest. She seemed so genuinely excited to finally meet me. To hear that I was older, and that I was really excited as well. I think giving her a face to know was all she needed almost.

She immediately ran over to a table of girls, who began craning their necks at me, and shouting names, and hello's. After one girl loudly proclaimed the question "Are you nice?", my nerves crept back up. After she explained herself though, saying she just didn't want to have to come in hostile it made me feel a bit better...I guess.

I was worried, that I wouldn't be accepted with open arms. I know how girls are. I've seen what we can do to those we distrust, or dislike. But having this tiny run in is the one confidence boost I need to know that I can do this. That I won't get totally run out of town. I know it isn't going to be the easiest. That I've got a long but rewarding road ahead of me. That I'm not their RA they know and love, but that I have the ability to find my own space in their hearts, and lives.

I'm excited. For the challenge, the rewards, the experience, the ability to make a difference. The chance to do something that feels right.

No comments:

Post a Comment