Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I got ice in my veins, blood in my eyes

I wish...I could take hockey pictures forever. That it was realistic to sit in the rink, and watch days upon days of hockey. To catch that awesome pass, or the moment of triumph when the final buzzer sounds.

Maybe it's because a job like that wouldn't really be growing up. It would be getting to relive my childhood, everyday. I remember being a kid, and watching the older people taking pictures at games of the team and their children. I think I liked to look through Connor's end of the year hockey CD's, bursting with pictures from team dinners to that awesome check or goal, more then he did most years.

I've gotta thank my momma though; for buying herself that beautiful Nikon. I'll always have a softspot for that camera, no matter how old it gets. I remember begging her to use it, all the time. Finally, she did. And it's all history from there.

When I first started using my mom's camera, all I can remember is the pure joy I felt. Getting to carry it in to the rink in it's padded case, and standing at the railing with the strap snuggly around my neck. Taking picture after picture after picture. Going home and putting them all on the computer and getting to look at my creation. It made me feel a part of the hockey experience, since so much of revolved around getting Connor fed and to the right location at the right time, with me just tagging around waiting for the game to start. It gave me a purpose, and something to look forward to besides getting to eat out three times the day of the trip.

I used to scour the rink for the perfect vantage point, usually trying to get behind the benches. I stood on ladders, and bleachers. I took pictures over the glass, through the glass. Goalies, forwards, defense, coaches. You name it (or them), I probably have at least 10 pictures.

I think that's where I caught the photography buzz. Once I started at the rink, I started taking pictures everywhere. I don't know how many times my mom would start her camera and find pictures of the dogs filling up her memory card. I mean, granted, she now encourages my photo taking but I don't think she was exactly pleased when I started.

I loved it then, and I love it now. I can't even begin to describe the feeling I get when I know it's time to get my camera ready for another weekend at the rink. Over a thousand pictures? No bigs. Small amount for three games actually. Something about knowing that hockey seasons starting just jump starts my buzz again. Once I start bundling up, I find the joy of taking pictures everywhere again. It's like my creative block gets lifted. Because the rink's always the same. But always different.

I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have my wonderful family to help me purchase my own camera. I tell everyone it's my baby and to be honest? Besides Princess, it really is. And I'm very lucky to have my family who puts up with my obnoxious amount of documentation. I guess they know how much pictures in general mean to me. Someday's though, I wish I had figured it out sooner. There are a lot of memories I wish I had to hold in my hand. But moving on.

I always kind of wondered where I wanted to take my photography. If I wanted to do senior portraits, or flowers, or even dog pictures. I'd love to do them all, but after this weekend, I know for sure where my heart really lies.

In the rink.

No comments:

Post a Comment