Friday, January 10, 2014

I'm starting with the man in the mirror

People are not disposable entities, things that you may keep around and recycle for years until one day you decide you no longer have a use for them.

People are things that have meaning, things that you nurture and care for like a family heirloom, or a special book from your childhood. They are not the fads of crop tops and leggings. People are not things that you may use carelessly and then toss to the side until you might have a need for it three months from now.

People have feelings.

So before you start up what seems like a harmless flirtation, or go back to an old flame because you're lonely and in between girls, stop.

Think about what you are doing.

Would you want someone to treat you like that?

As high and mighty as this might sound, it's not meant to be. I'm judging, but mainly because as I write I am judging myself much more harshly. These are things I need to remember. People are not convenient, and if I expect a friendship to last, the proper care and time must be placed into it. The effort to keep it safe, and repaired is required.

Today, I am starting with the woman in the mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment