Saturday, January 14, 2012

Lean on me

I love new semesters.

I like new starts, and fresh books. Clean notebooks, and a clean four months in my planner.

I mean, there is a bit of stress before a new school year, that is for sure. Un-known classes, with mysterious professors. A new daily schedule, with new classmates, workmates, and hallmates. I always get nervous before the new year starts. To me, it's like the first jump off of Black Rocks every summer.

I'm standing on the edge of the rock face, with just my toes peeking over. I look down, and can see all the way through the clear blue water. I start to stutter step backwards, to where my warm clothes and towel are waiting. I can't though, because it's inevitable. That I'm going to run off, and plunge into the cool depths. Not just because it's hot out, or that I don't want to lose face. I'm going to jump off those rocks because change and taking chances are the story line of life.

It's the same with a new semester. It's a chance, and I've got to take a chance. So maybe I'll end up hating World Literature in China-- who knows? But I've got to try it to figure it out.

At the end of the summer, I've usually gone of Black Rocks more times then I can count. It's just that first jump that always gets me. Same with life. It's always the first day, for the first time I talk to a guy, the first time I try to work out after awhile.


But that's life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment